Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Will it rain today?

I'm not sure that me and my blog will agree with each other, but I figure it kills two birds with one stone - emailing and journalling. When in the past I've attempted to spill my heart in writing I've failed miserably and felt like a moody teenager. So do not fear. No angst here, or 'wangst' as me and Sophie like to call it.

Today I taught a lesson! Since the commemorations (17 years since the Rwandan Genocide) people have said they're too busy. I have seen people playing video games and watching prison break on their computers. They are not too busy. So I sat in the library at ten to eight, studentless. But then my friend Ishmael told me he would gather the troops, which he did with great efficiency. So we began our lesson on 'Trauma'. I've given up doing dry grammar lessons - instead I pick a theme, one that is relevant to Rwandans working in the National Commission for the Fight Against Genocide, and facilitate a discussion, which almost always turns into a debate.

Trauma - by which I mean the psychological trauma suffered by genocide survivors, was the theme for this year's commemorations. One man, Charles, always hungover, suggested that the only way to fight trauma is to kill the perpetrators. Whatever happened to a little therapy? Later he told me he only said it because at this time of year, people at the Commission take everything too seriously.

Had lunch at Afrika Bite with my new friend Linda from Texas. What a buffet. Though I was disappointed when I discovered the mashed potato was in fact cassava...dry and stringy. Five kinds of starch. Rwandan food calls for afternoon naps.

I hear thunder.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Mary,

    Good luck with the blog. Don't forget, people at home want to pictures. So post lots of pictures and you get all the attention. Post lots of text and family and friends start complaining :)

    Cheers from Khartoum,
    Moritz (http://www.schrattenkalk.com/)

    ReplyDelete